Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Current Timeline

2011

Nov 4: emailed the
 Director of Ingham County Animal Control. I remember contacting someone from Ingham county Animal Control with questions about the legality of backyard chickens and they were helpful and willing to took things up for me. Maybe she will be willing to answer some questions?

Nov 4: emailed a member of the Ingham County Animal Control Shelter Advisory Board. I contacted her back when the chicken amendment was going through and she was helpful.

Nov 6: emailed Jennie Grant, creator of the Goat Justice League based in Seattle. Hopefully she can give me some advice.

Nov 6: emailed the vice-president of the Lansing City Council. I have personally met this person and she should recognize my name. I know she is a supporter of the local food movement because she is also involved in a community farmer's market and other nutrition and gardening education efforts.

 Nov 6: emailed another Lansing City Council member who (according to the Lansing Backyard Poultry Meetup Group) was a supporter of the Lansing backyard chicken ordinance passed in 2009.

Nov 7: I decided to re-write the Ingham County chicken ordinance for miniature goats as I would eventually like to see it. I added a few things important to goat-keeping that didn't apply to chicken-keeping (such as castration of males, and dehorning).

Nov 7: emailed the County Commissioner for my district. This is the first person on the Ingham county commission I have contacted. Since changing the Ingham county ordinance may be simpler than changing the city of Lansing ordinance, I thought it would be a good idea to contact someone form the county. Since I don't personally know any of the commissioners (or know of them), I just choose the commissioner from my district.

Nov 9: I'm getting frustrated because I have yet to hear back from a single person (and I've emailed 6 people so far). I realize it has only been a few days and these are all busy people, but I would at least like somebody to acknowledge that they received my email.

Nov 9: emailed the chairperson of the Ingham County Commissioners.

Nov 9: emailed the vice-chairperson of the Ingham County Commissioners.

Nov 9: emailed the coordinator for the Ingham County Board of Commissioners to ask if county commission meetings are open to the public and if community members are allowed to speak in front of the board. I told her about my proposed amendment to the Animal Control Ordinance and asked if she knew what I should do?



No comments:

Post a Comment