Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Timeline Update: Progress!

Nov 16: I left a voice mail with with the director of Ingham County Animal Control.

Nov 16: Progress! The Animal Control director called me back and she was great! She said that the best place to start the process of legalization would be with the Animal Control Advisory Board, not the County Commission. She said that an advisory board member was the one to introduce the chicken amendment and the chicken amendment went though pretty easily! However goats might be a more difficult "sell" since they are so much bigger. She said that chickens were legalized by making an "exception" to the Animal Control Ordinance, that goats could also be written as an "exception".

She told me who to contact on the the Animal Control Advisory Board and she even offered to call ahead and introduce me! Unfortunately, the Advisory Board only meets ever other month, but the next meeting happens to be November 28! 

She said that I should make handouts of my proposal to give to the board members at the meeting. I should include as much information as possible about keeping goats and explain how urban goats will improve my (and others) quality of life. I should be prepared to discuss the number, size, breed, and gender of goats appropriate for backyard keeping, as well as shelter size, fencing, and sanitation issues. She said I need to be prepared to answer any questions and dispel any fears that the board members may have. She commented that their main concern may likely be sanitation issues and smell. She also said that I should be prepared to mention other cities that have legalized goats and what kinds of regulations they have imposed.

I was excited to hear all the stuff she wants me to discuss, because I have already researched nearly all of it and/or written about it! I've even spent some time re-writing the Animal Control Ordinance to include a goat exception (using the chicken exception as a template).


Nov 16: called my new contact on the Animal Control Advisory Board. She didn't really have any new information for me, but sounded very welcoming and receptive! She said that I can take up to 7 minutes to present my proposal.

After I give my presentation, the board will discuss privately. I may not hear back until the next Advisory Board meeting in January. I'm not sure if the Advisory Board has direct control over the Animal Control Ordinance or if they will have to submit a proposal to the County Commission. It would be really exciting (and potentially a quick process) if the Advisory Board's decision directly led to an amendment of the Animal Control Ordinance!

No comments:

Post a Comment